A brief introduction to EEG
As you think, dream, see, and sense, your brain is constantly active. It does not only absorb all information, process, and re-connect existing data, but also integrate everything into a consistent experience. For you, that experience constitutes your reality.
Your brain is constantly active, shaping how you see your environment, filtering or highlighting objects and information most relevant to you. It creates its own stories based on your thoughts, emotions, desires, and experiences, ultimately driving your behavior.
3. How can EEG data be interpreted?
EEG is significant in that it allows us to record the voltage changes for post analysis that can help us determine if there are certain incongruencies in patterns or understand how our brains operate and react under certain conditions. It is important to know that EEGs cannot diagnose disorders but allows us to have a clear overview of our brain’s activity.
- As EEG monitors the time course of electrical activity generated by the brain, you can interpret which areas of the cortex are responsible for processing information at a given time:
- Occipital cortex: responsible for processing visual information including low-level visuo-spatial processing (orientation, spatial frequency)
- Parietal cortex: accountable for motor functions and is active during self-referential tasks (objects or information that is important to us)
- Temporal cortex: responsible not only for language processing and speech production (left temporal cortex including Broca’s and Wernicke’s areas) but also for long-term memory (deep temporal structures including the hippocampus)
- Frontal cortex: in charge of maintaining control and monitoring our behavior (executive function)
- Prefrontal cortex: The prefrontal cortex is implicated in planning complex cognitive behavior, personality expression, decision making, and moderating social behavior. At Looxid Labs, we focus on the prefrontal lobe because we are aiming to provide a compatible interface for virtual reality (VR) and comfortability in terms of the usability of VR headsets. By placing the sensors in an area that does not obstruct the functionality of a head-mounted display, the most logical area to place these electrodes is the forehead area, which corresponds to the prefrontal cortex of the brain.
4. In what fields is EEG applicable?
EEG is used in a variety of fields where unbiased, unconscious data are pivotal. Different factors can affect how one expresses their minds. Hence, EEG is widely used in fields where user feedback is necessary. The following are some fields where EEG is widely known to be utilized.
Have you ever watched a movie where you thought “man, it is not engaging enough” or “this is boring”. This new field uses feedback from your brain to make the content more intense or engaging. EEG signals are effective to utilize the person’s engagement or attention levels in making a movie more appealing to the consumer or not letting a movie be more than what the consumer can handle.
- Wellness & Healthcare
Therapy is important to recover from certain trauma or issues that one cannot overcome. EEG applied to guided therapy sessions allows for monitoring of EEG signals to observe if a certain session is helpful to the user. Physiological signs provide deeper insights than self-expressed statements. The materialization of signals before and after sessions as well as the history of these records can soothe a user’s mind. Meditation and exposure therapy are some examples of uses in the wellness area. In addition, abnormal EEG signals of the user can help detect certain conditions before they are fatal.
Consumer research focuses on the effectiveness of marketing campaigns. Getting to understand what catches customers’ attention and acknowledging the ways in which people perceive a marketing strategy can save a company unnecessary expenses from facts performed by neuromarketing. Self-reporting may not give deep insights, hence, EEG data can be a more resourceful option.
- Education & Training
Imagine going to class and having a lecture where the professor is able to effectively teach you, customizing the material to be more engaging and actually being able to understand everything he or she is talking about. EEG in education is widely used in this manner, where the EGG recordings during classes allow teachers to obtain reports of students’ engagement levels. As in training, companies and institutions can use EEG along with VR to allow trainees to experience real situations and get effective feedback from their mistakes in the training sessions. It allows them to be better prepared for real life situations by known what to expect.